Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Feeling The Pain

 


Sade - Feel No Pain

VERSE1:
Mama been laid off 
Papa been laid off 
My brother's been laid off 
For more than two years now 
Ooh can't get a job 
Billy can't get a job 
They gotta listen to the blues 

REFRAIN:
Help them to strive 
Help them to move on 
Help them to have some future 
Help them to live long Help them to live life 
Help them to smile 
Don't let them stay home 
And listen to the blues 

VERSE2:
Papa been laid off  (Oh Papa)
Mama been laid off (Oh Mama)
Billy can't get a job 
For too long, too long 
Don't let them lose 
We gotta give them a chance 
It's gonna come back on everyone 
If you don't make them dance 
Don't let them stay home 
And listen to the blues 

BRIDGE:
There's nothing sacred 
Breathing hatred 
We have to face it 
No one can take it 
And feel no pain

I had forgotten about this song.  Feel no pain was my life for a few years after I got laid off from my long-term job.   It didn't seem like I would ever find another job.   Looking for a job is quite the humbling process.  I've had to bite my pride through it all.  I even had a brief stint as a food delivery driver for a local Chinese restaurant in early 2019.   One night was enough for me though.   I shortly wound up finding temporary work at Amazon that lasted almost three years.   But thankfully someone gave me a chance and I was able to work in corporate America again.  So far I'm hanging in there (some days are crazy but that's with any job) and am able to breath again.

I used to love listening to Sade.  Even though when you think of Sade, you think of the individual lady that graced us with her singing, Sade actually is a band.   In fact there's often a male voice that can be heard singing occasionally in the background, sometimes briefly as lead.   I found out his name is Leroy Osborne.   His voice definitely compliments Sade's.   It's cool to know that they've performed together over the years.

Sade has that unique ability to make you feel her pain in all her songs.   I find myself grooving to the beat when listening to her.   But I listen sparingly so when I recently ran into a video highlighting her hits, I was reminded of some like the aforementioned Feel No Pain.   Her last song was released in 2018 on the Soundtrack of the movie Widows starring Viola Davis.    It's called The Big Unknown.   The melody reminds you of what makes Sade great.   One of the comments on the video best describes Sade's last effort.   "Sade comes out from the shadows. SINGS. Drops the mic. Back into the shadows like a Boss!"

This was six years ago.   LOL come back from the shadows once more Sade and Leroy.

No comments:

Post a Comment