Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Warped Work Logic

 In my current role our team typically receives case assignments from folks who are having issues with items related to Salesforce.   Part of our productivity is based on how quickly you can solve issues and get the cases closed out.   When I first started there were plenty of cases in the backlog that you could count on to meet those numbers.   But in the last six months the number of cases have dwindled and it's gotten to the point that I have to log into the system at all hours of the evening and weekend just to quickly snap up cases before other engineers do just to try to keep up with productivity.

In the midst of all this, the company has been trying to do more hiring.   In my mind and some of my co-workers, the question becomes why are we hiring all these folks if there isn't the amount of work that justifies doing so.   Management is saying that the plan is to start transferring some folks to other areas of the company and that should free up resources.   

But in the meantime it's been a bit frustrating having to always be online to try and find random cases.   I of course start wondering if there'll be another round of layoffs in the future to contend with.   I gotta get that backup plan going.   I can't count on my job always being there.

I'm also trying to do things to make myself stand out so that hopefully I'll be in the back of the line of folks they consider.   That's no guarantee of course.   I figure it can't hurt though.

I have to gear up for another Indianapolis trip next Monday.   I hate doing that commute but I'm so grateful that I only have to do it once a month or less.   Things can always be worse.

Otherwise work has been okay.  I continue to be grateful to have a good paying job and that I have a lower than national average mortgage that allows me to continue to pay extra on it.   I admit that I'm thinking about retirement more and more especially with Dom eyeing retirement after two more school years.   I'm definitely hoping he can make it with all the issues he's been dealing with.   We just have to continue to take it one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment