This summer has been quite eventful weatherwise. It seemed like every week they were announcing some weather event where there was the potential for tornadoes and flooding. Last month the tornadoes hit very close to where we live in the town of Merrillville. We frequent there when shopping at Costco or when I was taking my certification exams for the latest Salesforce cert. So it was surreal to see the destruction that took place. My area received lots of rain and heavy winds but thankfully we didn't get the brunt of the bad weather. I haven't been to Merrillville since the tornadoes but plan to go this weekend to Costco as we need to stock up on some bulk items.
We've had more storm events happen due to the very humid air in the air and a cold front moving in from the north. Areas were also seeing hail the size of golf balls. We have windows open because we have no central air and Dom insists on having them constantly open. When the winds came through, the gust was enough to knock some of the spices we had placed on the kitchen sill fly off.
When coming back from our court appearance in late June, we drove through the town of Griffith, IN and could see that they had reduced major roadway Ridge to only one lane each direction, the other lane was filled with tree debris from fallen limbs.
So this past Monday, Chicagoland experienced yet another storm event. This time the Southern burbs of Illinois received the brunt of the tornadoes, including Lansing, Orland Park, and Homewood. Anthony lives in that area and he mentioned that the power went out for him. It so happened that this time Dom and I went without power. The power was out for almost six hours. Dom especially had a hard time adjusting to how hot the house got without fans and our A/C bedroom.
At first we were in the mud room where he opened the windows and a breeze was coming through. I don't care for the mud room because part of the windows extend to our neighbor's driveway. Dom of course was talking loud and his voice was carrying outside, enough for the Amazon delivery person delivering a package for our neighbors to turn is head and look at us.
I decided to stay in the living room and lie down on one of the sofas. Dom and I would continue to converse from between the rooms since the mud room is only inches away from the living room. Eventually we moved upstairs and Dom of course opened the bedroom window w/o the A/C unit as high as possible. But he wasn't comfortable. I was wanting to doze off but really couldn't because he was tossing and turning. So I went back down to the sofa and Dom eventually joined. We talked for a bit before I finally dozed off. By then we were on hour 4 or 5 without power. I was definitely worrying about our food going bad in the refrigerators. The mini-fridge in the kitchen nook starting leaking water from the freezer.
I felt the ceiling fans start spinning and the lights turn on in the living room after a little over 6 hours without power and heard Dom exclaiming joy. I soon also exclaimed joy and was grateful that the outage didn't carry on through the night.
It's funny that some do not believe in global warming but how can we explain all the major weather events especially tornadoes that have never plagued our area before. It's not over either. It wouldn't surprise me to see more events like this in the near future. All we can do is take cover and pray.
No comments:
Post a Comment