Dom has been in the hospital since July 30th. He mentioned first feeling an itchy feeling in his urethra when wanting to pee back on July 18th. At that time we were visiting his Mom and staying in Peru, Indiana for the Peru annual Circus City festival. Technically we didn't go to the Circus but outside the circus there were displays of different food fare and various other items.
Dom really wanted a pork tenderloin. There was a place he wanted to go but it required purchasing tickets. We purchased the tickets but held off on getting the tenderloins until we did a lap around the festival. We were also wanting elephant ears and we purchased ice cream. But by the time we got back, they apparently had no more pork tenderloins, which made Dom angry. At first they were saying we were out of luck as far as getting our money back but thankfully the owner did give it back to us. But I'm digressing.
The next time he complained about it was the following weekend. He started feeling feverish late Friday into Saturday (July 24 - 25). Then on Sunday he felt better but then the fever came back Monday. He went back and forth again until finally on the 30th we knew we had to go to the hospital.
I went to work that morning and got busy with cases. I messaged Dom that morning to let him know I made it to work safely but he didn't respond. It wasn't unusual since when I left him, he was asleep and he is known to sleep in these days. But he didn't message me at all during the day. He would usually message around mid-day. So when I was able to get a long break finally (which wasn't until 2:15 PM), I found a break area and called Dom.
When he answered he was very lethargic and was saying how he wasn't feeling well at all and that he needed to go to the Emergency Room. I looked at the time and told him that I could catch the 3:15 PM train and get home before 4:30 PM. After we hung up, I realized there was no 3:15 train. The next train after that was 3:40 PM. There was a 2:45 PM train but I wouldn't make it to the train station in time to catch it. So I resigned myself to catch the 3:40 train. Luckily work had slowed down and I was able to leave earlier.
I got home closer to 5PM. I parked near the front steps of the house since the plan was to take him straight to emergency. I ran up the stairs, unlocked the door, came into the house, and stopped in my tracks in the hallway. From where I stood I could see the bathroom toilet. To my shock there was a huge pile of shit laying on the back of the lower seat and bottom of the upper seat.
I freaked out and went to check on Dom who appeared confused for a bit. He was not well and expressed needing to go to the hospital. He was so weak though that he couldn't move. Dom is a bigger guy too so me trying to move him was impossible.
In the meantime while he was trying to gather his strength, I decided that I needed to clean the toilet. I took some wipes and was able to remove the majority of the poop from the seat and dumped it in the toilet. I then cleaned it the best I could though some poop was stuck in the crevices.
It was a good thing I cleaned it up since Dom mentioned needing to go again. Dom was slow to get up and was barely able to move. I teared up and expressed remorse for going to the office though in all honestly we should've went to the ER last weekend.
We eventually made our way to the hospital though not before putting a chucks pad in the passenger seat. Dom smelled of poop since he wasn't able to clean himself very well. We made it to the ER just before 5:30 and thankfully before there was a larger crowd of folks waiting. He was able to get seen relatively quickly in less than 30 minutes.
They took a lot of blood to test it with some cultures. They also took a urine sample. After some time it was determined that he had a yeast blood infection. The suspicion was that the Jardiance that he's taking now for diabetes was a likely cause. Based on the infection it was determined that he would need to check in at the hospital.
His court date was the next morning on July 31st. But there was no way he would be able to attend. I wound up going to the court house that morning and letting the clerk know that Dom had a medical emergency. I also ran into the plaintiff's attorney and explained the situation. He mentioned that he would let the judge know and put in a request for a continuance. We will get something in the mail for a future court date which will hopefully be in September or October.
Dom was feeling terrible still on the 31st and August 1st and didn't have any appetite. They put him on an antibiotic called Eraxis, which is an antifungal medication for fighting infections caused by fungus. By Sunday he was doing much better and when I visited him, he mentioned being able to wolf down his lunch. His infectious specialist was cautiously optimistic that he could be released in 48 hours which was Tuesday. There was some issue with dinner on Sunday and he was hungry so the staff wound up giving him a lot of snacks to tide him over. Monday he was still feeling great.
However, sometime during Monday night things turned for the worse again. His body temps rose to 103, his heart rate was over 130, and he was extremely feverish and the staff said he even was confused momentarily about his whereabouts. I didn't realize all this until this afternoon. I did message Dom this morning but he didn't respond. I tried calling during the early afternoon but didn't get an answer. I called again after arriving at the train station. He didn't answer but he called me moments later and gave me the details.
His nurse aide mentioned that they have him on two new stronger antibiotics - Vancomycin and Cefepime. Reading all the side effects of these antibiotics have been scary to say the least. But I'm hoping it does help. Unfortunately Dom was not doing well during my visit earlier this evening and was still relatively out.
Since he hasn't been eating again, his blood sugar fell to 80 something. We tried to get him to eat dinner but he just wasn't hungry at all. I do pray that he gets some relief by tomorrow and hopefully this infection gets knocked out. I plan to work from home tomorrow so I should be around if needed. Prayers needed.
No comments:
Post a Comment