Sunday, February 11, 2024

Office Returns

 My manager mentioned in our weekly team meeting that our company is mandating that everyone returns back to the office 3 days a week.   There wasn't much reaction on the call on the news.   The company made some noise last year on wanting employees to return to the office.   A couple folks left the company because of the news and there's been a lot of discord from folks on our message boards where grievances can be aired.   But the trend seems to be pushing towards getting folks to return.   It's said that 90% of companies are planning to implement return-to-office policies by end of 2024.   Also 30% threaten to fire those who do not comply.

There's been stories of downtowns becoming ghost towns since the pandemic.   According to a Forbes article, downtowns in Chicago, Vancouver, Seattle and San Francisco are at most half as active as they were in their heyday.   

I will say that even though the SouthShore trains seem full when I do go in the office, I can see that the station parking lots aren't as full as they used to be.   I remember when I was working downtown Chicago in 2018 that some mornings when I had to drive to the further location to park if you were late, you would not get a parking spot.   Now I can park in an area that's mostly away from folks and there's not a lot of cars nearby.    Also the trains have been reducing cars which is why the trains still seem full.   I do look forward to the station nearby finally being available so I don't have to worry about commuting to the station.

It's so funny when I was talking to Eugene about my promotion, he was telling me that I should consider going back to the office at least twice a week.    He was telling me about some moves he had to make on the job that required an in-person touch that email would not work.

I'll admit I've been spoiled by mostly working remote and not thrilled by having to return.  I'm especially annoyed since this week is Fat Tuesday and I was looking forward to going to a local bakery to get some Paczki's but Tuesdays and Thursdays they want us in the office.   I may just have to go extra early to the spot and then just be a little late for work.    But you know I guess I shouldn't bitch too much since I did get that promotion.   Rather this then my Amazon days, right.

No comments:

Post a Comment