Saturday, March 18, 2023

Grumpy Old Men

 Shit is getting scary with Dom and I.   Since his fall at Costco he's gotten slower again and now has ordered a cane to assist him in walking.   He's been on a cane kick lately ordering a pair for his parents as well.   

And today he had an appointment to get blood drawn at the clinic.   He asked if I wanted to go with him.  I honestly wasn't keen on it but decided to tag along.   He was a scary driver the entire trip, cursing idiot drivers (there are a lot) and dodging and weaving his way along the way to his appointment.   Unfortunately the hospital staff complain if you're even one minute late but if you get early they still make you wait past your time.   So he was on edge the entire time and making me edgy.  

He acknowledged that's he's becoming grumpy in his old age.   He turns 59 in June while I'm creeping towards 51.   In fact I need to get a colonoscopy done now that I'm 50.   Actually I remember reading that black folks needed to do them at 45 so I'm more than 5 years behind.

But it's crazy to see how quickly Dom is slowing down.   Even when he stands up, he has to stand still for a minute before walking since he feels like he's losing his balance.   At times even when walking he feels like he's losing his balance.   He also unfortunately has been having pancreas issues and is involuntarily leaking liquid out of his anus.   I'm not sure it's a leaky gut.   Getting old is so much fun.

I myself am noticing my feet are hurting more since I've had to commute to the office periodically.  I'm walking at a decent pace but it amazes me how some folks always seem to walk even faster.   My teeth are a lot more sensitive these days to cold.

I do try to take various supplements to stave off stuff but it doesn't seem to be working.   Since COVID has hit the scene and doesn't seem to be going away, I've been taking daily supplements of Quercetin and NAC.   Quercetin is touted to help with inflammation, immune support, and respiratory health.   NAC helps to replenish glutathione levels which in turn helps improve brain health and also helps improve lung function.   I also take chlorella, spirulina, and magnesium daily.   I periodically take Vitamin C, D, and K and started taking Niacin as well since it's supposed to help with circulation.    

It's hard to say whether any of this is doing me any good or if I'm just wasting my money.  Eugene always used to tell me I was looking for quick fixes.   But I'm trying to slow down the signs of aging and the maladies that come with it.   We'll see in time what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment