Thursday, June 8, 2023

As The Stone Turns

 I presently find myself in the same pickle that I first experienced New Year's Eve 2021.   Sadly it appears that I have another stone making its way down my urethra.   I first began experiencing an ache near my belly on 05/31.  I woke up with a discomfort there but I thought I may have slept wrong.   It would flare up for a quick second or two before going away but the pain was manageable.   

That was until a few days later on Sunday evening when the pain became more intense.   I started thinking of everything else that could be the issue.   I worried about appendicitis but I didn't have any other symptoms.   I wasn't feverish or flu-ish.    I also was not feeling nauseous.   I wondered if something was going on with gallbladder but Dom mentioned jaundice would be one of the symptoms and my eyes did not look yellow.

It then dawned on us that it was likely a stone again.   The pain got more intense since Sunday.   Even sitting still for a few minutes leads to irritation.   The pain began to feel debilitating like it did that New Year's Eve.   I began drinking lots more water and each time I peed the pain in my lower back and sides would get worse.

I did pass at least two stones prior to this latest nightmare and after my first incident.   But both of those were only mildly irritating (mostly making me feel like I needed to urinate more frequently).   This latest one...wooh!

I've been trying everything to relieve the pain.  I ordered some Qunol Tumeric which is touted to be the best for pain management.    But it didn't help and then I read it may take an average of 4 - 8 weeks for it to be effective.   I need it now...LOL.

I thought about getting this product called Stone Breaker whose main ingredient is said to help break down stones.   But then I read some reviews that scared me from the product.   70% of them were positive but those few gave pause which included some that said it didn't work to others that said it made the problem worse.   

I started taking Tylenol as well starting early Tuesday morning.   I'm not a fan of Tylenol thinking of all the side effects but I can't take aspirin because I'm allergic to it and it's the only option I have aside from slow acting tumeric for pain management.

I told my manager about my stone and she mentioned barley water helping.   I read some things about barley water and it touted a lot of positive benefits including helping manage kidney stones so I was sold.  I ordered some barley from Amazon (wanted to go out and get some but I was in too much pain to go out and Dom was too tired...LOL).  I got the order of that yesterday and promptly made a batch.   4 1/2 cups of water mixed with 1/2 cup of barley yielded just a little over 2 cups of barley water.   

Since it left a lot of barley, I wound up making some "barley" oatmeal with the rest of it today.    So between the barley water and the "barley" oatmeal, I ate more barley in one morning then I've done in years.    I will say I've been feeling better this afternoon and the pain is not as intense. 

I don't know if it's the barley water, the Tylenol, the Qunol tumeric, or even the hot shower I took but I'm happy for some relief.   I also was able to get my new primary doc to refill an order of tamsulosin which is supposed to be for benign prostate but also helps to open up the urethra.   I'm hoping it'll help me to pass this latest stone or stones.   No clue.   I also need to schedule a follow-up appointment with him sometime in the next week or so.    Shoot...I still need to get my blood drawn from my last appointment.   I did get my colonoscopy scheduled though.   That'll be on July 20th assuming I make it through my latest stone drama...*LOL*.

I really do hope this stone(s) finally comes out sometime soon.   It's a pain I would not wish on anyone.   As Dom says, welcome to the 50's!!!   Uggh!

No comments:

Post a Comment