Thursday, June 29, 2023

Not In My Family

 Dom's Dad took a turn for the worse over the weekend.   He started vomiting Sunday night and the next day, hospice noted that his organs were beginning to shut down and the end was near.   Dom's sister Marie stopped by the family house to be their Dad in his last moments.   Dom opted not to go since he felt torn up seeing him on Saturday in his weakened state.

His Dad took his last breath this past Tuesday.   Dom headed over to the family home Wednesday afternoon.    I made plans to see my sisters this weekend and in my mind, the funeral would be after the holiday weekend.    But to my surprise they made all the arrangements and the funeral is taking place on July 3rd.   That was fine though.   I told myself that I would cut my weekend trip short and return Sunday so that I could drive myself to the funeral on Monday.

So the obit was completed and placed on the funeral home's website mid-afternoon on the 29th.   When looking at the obituary I couldn't help but notice there was a name missing among those that Dom's dad left behind - me.   I definitely was feeling a certain way and had a feeling my name not being included was mostly Marie's doing.   Dom told me he fought to have it in there but was overruled.    But it was "nothing against me"...LOL.

Trina asked me earlier in the day for details on his Dad's funeral so she could send flowers.   But I'm guessing she's not going to send any now.   I had to tell both Trina and Tasha about the slight since I knew they would be looking for the obit.   Plus both my sisters made sure to include Dom in both my parents obits and also fought to put him in my Dad's obit from his overseas family.   So for me to not be mentioned in his Dad's obit was a slap in the face.   I'll get to relive the trauma this weekend when visiting them.

I was planning to go to the funeral but with the slight I question if I should even go.   As it stands when speaking to Dom tonight, he was not even under the impression I was going since I was planning to visit my sisters.    But of course I would go since I thought I was part of their family.     But I guess I'm not.

I do know it wasn't Dom's doing to not include me, so it is what it is.    But it was a definite sting not being mentioned and to a lesser degree, Dom thinking I wouldn't go.

In other "their family" news, they opted to keep his Dad's death from Marina who is battling Stage 4 pancreatic cancer.   The fear was that the news would devastate her and cause her to give up as well.   And now I'm realizing I'll be left out of her obit as well if something happens to her.   Of course I'm praying that she recovers (even though the odds are against it) but I hate that it's now in the back of my mind.    Uggh.

2 comments:

  1. Heh. Trina told me that in the event something happens to Dom, I need to leave Marie's name out of his obit or else she will not attend his memorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and by extent also her husband and their children (since they're collateral damage at this point). LOL...I love Trina. :-)

    ReplyDelete