Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Waiting On You

 En Vogue - Waitin' On You

Verse 1:

It's ten O' clock and I'm still alone
Waitin' by the phone
It makes me think you won't be back again
And I'm feeling so intense, oh baby

Refrain:
I can't keep wastin' my time, waitin' on you
To come home, to come home now
I can't keep wastin' my time, waitin' on you
To come home, to come home now

Verse 2:
I fantasize of makin' love
It's such a lonely feeling without you
But I would not have to dream
If you would just be there to share my loves desire

Bridge:
I should not be alone
Just waitin' for a man who claims he loves me so
I have more patience than I can believe
It's such a shame, I can't believe I'm still alone

Repeat Refrain 6 Times

This song used to be my jam back in my young adult years.   I was 17 going on 18 when this song came out as part of En Vogue's Born To Sing album which was released April 3, 1990.   I remember being captivated by the vocals of the original 4.    Waitin' On You was never released as a single but it wound up being one of my favorites from the album.    The story behind it was that each lady (minus Terry maybe since she was late and almost didn't make the group) had the opportunity to sing the song and make it their own.   The producers then would decide which lady's version of the song would make it to the album.    In the end they chose Dawn's rendition which was a very good choice.   I couldn't imagine any of the other ladies pulling off this particular song.   

Anyway the song tells the tale of a woman scorned after her lover stands her up one too many times.  She's tired of waiting around for him and pours out her heart in this song.

The song came to mind today when Midas shared a video of a song by a singer I never heard of named Tyler Childers.    The song literally came out less than a week ago (as of the time of my publishing this entry).   It's titled "In Your Love" and it tells the tale of an older gentlemen who recalls a love from his past that is set during the 50s or 60s.   His love was male and of course during that time it was dangerous to be out and proclaim yourself as gay.   It all stems from a four-leaf clover that he finds when tending the farmland.   It later is shared that the two lovers found a four-leaf clover as well.   The man recalls the ups and downs of their relationship and how one day he lost his love.   He sings that he will "wait for you till the sun turns into ashes and bows down to the moon".   



The waiting expressed in the song is much different than the waiting that Dawn sang about in their smoky quiet-storm ballad.  Tyler's song itself was so beautiful.   It sounded a bit country and isn't one I would normally listen to.   But I'm so glad Midas shared it with me.    When he texted me the song, he added the words "You should watch this!"  A small part of me was wondering if I was reading too much into his words.   I don't know if the song was his way of telling me that he would "wait for me".   I have said before that I felt like Midas was the one that got away.   I always felt like my love for him was one-sided though.   But at the same time Midas never did "let me go" completely.   He always periodically kept in touch with me over the years even when I tried to forget him.   He had this funny knack of reaching out to me sometimes after I would have a random date.   I remember telling Sally about one of his calls and Sally joked that Midas must have some kind of radar for knowing if I'm seeing someone.    But I also recognize that there is a chance that we might not be together today had we pursued something more serious back in the day.   I will always hold a special place in my heart for Midas and am grateful that we are still in each other's lives after all these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment