Sunday, October 1, 2023

Creatures Of Habit

 I've been commuting to the downtown Chicago area approximately once a week for work.    About 20 minutes of that commute currently is driving to the Southshore train station 20 minutes from my house.   I have a station that is about 1/2 mile from where I live but the Southshore currently is in the midst of a Doubletracking project that directly impacts that station.   So rather than wait for a bus to take me to the nearest viable station (since the bus schedule is unpredictable), I drive myself to the nearest major station where trains are operable.

So I usually arrive at the station about 20-30 minutes before the train arrives.   So I usually chill in the car for about 10 minutes before walking into the station and joining the crowd of folks that eventually hop into the train.   

I usually park further away from the station to avoid being near other cars.   This particular time while I was chilling in the car, I noticed this one car coming in and they decide to park near me.   In my mind I'm like "hell to the no", there's so many other parking spaces around me and you choose to park by me.   As I'm thinking this, the driver decides to back up and move the car to a different section of the lot.   I was thinking 'okay'.   So just when I think they're settling there, the person moves the car again to a different spot.   The lady briefly gets out of the car to go to the trunk before getting back in and then moving the car yet again to another spot.

By this time I'm thinking this lady is certifiable and I finally leave my car and head to the station waiting area.   Wouldn't you know it, ten minutes later that same lady decides to stand near me.   I'm looking at her like 'wow'.   Yes I recognize folks have a right to stand where they want to stand.   But witnessing her antics in the parking lot, I was thinking I don't want this potential nut case standing next to me.

I talked to Dom about it later that morning and as I was talking, I realized I should probably give the lady some kind of grace.   None of us knows what people are going through in their lives.   Maybe it was her first time at the station and she was overwhelmed.

So the next time I'm waiting at the station, I see the same lady again coming over to stand near me.   Then it happens the time after that and she even winds up sitting across from me on the train.  I start to think she must be a stalker till I realize that I've been pretty much standing in my same spot myself.  I park in the same corner spot at the train station away from people (though recently people have been parking closer to me I find when I get home...uggh...LOL).    But I remember pre-pandemic when that same parking lot would be extremely full and you'd be lucky to find a spot.   So ridership is still not back from those times.

It was then when I was reminded that we are indeed creatures of habit.   Even in the office where these days we do not have assigned seating, I find myself sitting in the same spot when I go in.    And I've seen others do the same.   It is funny how old habits die hard.

So Midas and I met for lunch yesterday (09/30).   We met halfway between our homes at an Italian eatery.   I'm not gonna lie.   Seeing Midas again stirred up old memories of when we used to hookup.    Midas of course is older and not in as good shape as he used to be, but damn if I wasn't wanting us to bump uglies even though it's been over 12 years since we last did so.   I was then reminded one reason why it didn't necessarily work out for us.   I suggested us hang out a little longer by him accompanying me on an errand.    He of course pushed back but I understand why.   We're not in a relationship so technically the last thing he wanted to do was something mundane like I was suggesting.

I'm not going to lie though.  On my way to my errand after our brunch, I drove past a park and I was thinking, damn it would've been nice if Midas and I went to that park and rekindled old passions.   I guess it doesn't help that the last time I had sex was back with Lansing Bae in March 2023.   Now had I suggested we go to the park, I think Midas would've been more receptive.   LOL

Yes, old habits die hard.

P.S. Happy 99th birthday to our 39th U.S. President Jimmy Carter who is continuing to defy the odds.    Here's to another year around the sun as you inch closer to your 100th!   Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment