Thursday, January 25, 2024

Barbie-d Out

 As I've blogged before my hubby Dom has a little thing for dolls.    His hobby has been fascinating and annoying me for years.   When bitching about it with a random acquaintance once, they asked me what is behind Dom's obsession with doll collecting.   Dom explained that growing up he was envious that his two sisters were given dolls and he was never given any.   You know one of those gender microaggressions where boys need to be into sports and action figures (which actually are a different kind of doll) and girls need to be into dolls and pink.   So when Dom grew up, he decided to make up for his parents not giving him dolls by purchasing them en masse.

Our home literally has dolls sprinkled in almost every room with only the kitchen and bathrooms not having them on display.    When we moved into our home, he insisted on the largest bedroom being his doll room.   Every inch of that room is filled with all kinds of dolls.    His main style of doll are what are called 16-inch dolls which are slightly taller than Barbie.   His collection even has various dolls from a cartoon I used to watch in the 80's that was catered to girls.    The cartoon was Jem & The Holograms.    I used to secretly enjoy singing songs from Jem's rival band The Misfits.   I never had an interest in collecting anything from them though.   Dom didn't really know much about Jem but collected them because he liked how they looked.    It wasn't until the DVDs came out around the time we started dating and I introduced me to them that he said he collected those dolls as well.    

The dolls managed to creep their way into the other bedrooms including our main room (though I sleep alone in there since he's more comfortable these days sleeping on his easy chair).   But I get the pleasure of having his dolls appearing everywhere.    His collection is so huge that he has boxes of doll stuff overtaking our upstairs hallway and also in a couple rooms in the basement.    It borders on hoarding but at least I'm not stepping on dolls everywhere though I have to be careful not to step on a pin that may be hiding on the carpet.

I could go on and on about how unhealthy his obsession is but what has me ranting about it in this post is that at the time this rant began, it's 4:20 AM and we're both up because of work and he decides to blast music from the 2023 Barbie Movie that came out.   Such a fun thing to wake up to.   He's of course been obsessed with that movie since it's came out and he's forced me to watch it when it finally was released on Disney.   Of course he had to see it when it came in the theatre.   

Yes it's one of those things I've had to get used to.   I guess it's a good thing I love him...LOL.   Time to get ready for work.   How fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment