Saturday, January 6, 2024

Stealing Garbage

 Last November our garbage container was replaced with a new container.   The one we had since we moved was falling apart with holes on the side and loose handles.   So it was needed.    We weren't told it was going to be replaced though.   I just went to reposition the garbage container since the collectors never bother to put the containers back properly and found it gone.

I wound up calling our waste management company (after a comedy of errors trying to figure out who to contact) to get a replacement.    They scheduled the replacement to arrive the same day as our garbage pickup.    They took no consideration to whether anyone would be home or not.

So the new container came that morning and the delivery person gave no consideration to even bother to let me know that it was there.   I guess he made enough noise just arriving and taxing in front of the parkway for almost fifteen minutes.   Just as he left, the collectors were arriving to pick up garbage so I put our garbage for the week in the spot where our container normally resides.   As soon as they were done I moved the new container to the spot where the old one used to be.

It was nice having a spanking brand new container.   Little did I know that jealous thieving assholes would be eyeing the container for themselves.

Fast forward to the morning of January 4th.   I woke up and from our second floor window, I saw that the new container was missing.   Our neighbors, the Joneses, have a tall fence next to us and my first thought was that the container was hiding there and the collectors who picked up our garbage the day before didn't bother to put it back in the vicinity of where it should be.   I went outside and found the container tossed in the yard.   My first thought was that pranksters were messing with us again.  In the past I found random items tossed in the yard.   Dom was wondering if it was the wind but I know the wind would not push it over the small fence and surrounding tree branches.   I have a security camera facing our garage but unfortunately none in the area facing the alley.

I picked up the container and put it back in place.   I saw that my neighbor's containers were not touched.   The only difference I surmised was that our container was newer.   I was concerned and I even contemplated how to put the camera on the vinyl siding.   I wasn't sure drilling holes would work on the siding.   I found some videos that showed how to install cameras without drilling holes using vinyl siding hangers.    But since I had to work for a living I didn't have time to contemplate it too long and by the time work was over, it was dark.

I was definitely concerned about the container but there wasn't much I could do.   We do not have security lighting in the yard so it's extremely dark and not able to see.   I just had to pray that everything would be okay.

But it wasn't.   The morning of the 5th I saw the container was missing again.   But this time when going to the yard, the container was completely gone (including the garbage I tossed in it).  There is an identification number that is on the container but I did not think of tracking the number.   I drove around the neighborhood and I did see a container with a black lid but I had no way of telling whether it was ours or not.   

I called the waste management company and reported the theft but they won't do anything about it.  I inquired about the identification number and operator stated they don't even use that number.    But I'll be getting a new container once more next Tuesday.    This time, however, I plan to keep the container closer to the house (Dom even suggested keeping it in the garage).

One of the things I liked about living where we are was that I didn't have to push the container to the curb every week in anticipation of garbage pickup.   It was nice being able to have it remain in the same spot just outside the fence in the alley.   But now I'll have to push the container weekly.   I fucking hate people.

I did file a police report online but I'm not expecting anything to come from it.   They didn't even want to investigate when our home was broken into.   I will get more cameras installed in the rest of the yard.  What a mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment