Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Spotlight Effect

 Since getting my promotion I've definitely noticed my work days are getting busier.   Besides having to be available for Severity 1 cases, I also have to make myself available for my mentees whenever they have case issues and also other team members with their questions.   I also have to be able to meet my weekly goals at the same time.   It's been crazy.

During my manager's weekly meeting a few weeks back, she mentioned that she wanted to have a segment where an individual talks about an interesting case and do a show and tell with the group.  Our team mostly consists of wallflowers so you can imagine how well that suggestion went.   So when my manager saw nobody was biting, she made a mention of going by alphabet for presenters.   There was another team member with her name starting with A that of course protested.   

Imagine my surprise when A suggested that she and I present a case together that she was asking my help on.  I wasn't even trying to get my name tossed and somehow I wound up coming to the forefront.   So basically I was volunteered with her the following week to present the case.

That week comes and the case in question actually is in investigation by another team and I didn't hear anything from A regarding what to present.   So to save face I decided to dig out one of my cases to present.   I quickly emailed the manager to let her know about my case.   

So I wound up doing a presentation which I hated but it mostly went without a hitch.   There was a minor hiccup in coding that I luckily was able to fix.   Basically the case that A was wanting to present with me doesn't appear to be anymore ready this week to present.   But I did my part last week so I'm hoping A steps up and presents another case.

But besides that it seems that management wants "senior folks" (I'm in that category now) to volunteer and update Knowledge Articles and do additional demos with other colleagues.   I just want to go hide in a corner but I seem to be out in the open.

I will say that the promotion isn't all bad though.  I'm definitely enjoying the raise that comes with it.  I guess management wants to get their money's worth from me.   Guess I need to step up my game.

No comments:

Post a Comment