Friday, November 24, 2023

Latchkey Besties

 Another Thanksgiving has come and gone.   I'm currently in the Detroit area visiting my sisters.   I'm staying with Trina and Donovan.    On the outside they seem to be back to normal after their drama.   We spent Thanksgiving at one of their friend's new home.     But when waking up early due to an unexpected two, I saw that Donovan was sleeping on the couch.   So no doubt they still are working through some issues.

I had originally planned to stay till Sunday but there's supposedly a wintry mess traveling through the area that plans to hit around that time.    So I'll opt to leave for Saturday instead.

I plan to visit Tasha before leaving.   She was expecting us to visit on Thanksgiving along with Abe's family.   But some of Abe's family can be a bit annoying so Trina and I weren't particularly looking forward to it.   I know the annoying elements of his family must've been bugging Tasha and probably were hounding her on why Trina and I weren't there.   The same one that annoyed Trina and I years back by repeatedly asking why our parents didn't attend Tasha and Abe's wedding.   Subsequently Tasha messaged us both separately wondering of our whereabouts.

I told her where I was and that I will see her sometime before I leave Saturday.

So Hemingway the reason for today's entry is related to two new-ish acquaintances that have come in my life.   Both ladies I met while participating in the Pathfinder program.   The first lady Ming is the kindest lady.   But there was a period where she would constantly text me to tell me about mundane things going on.   At the time I was thinking we really don't know each other like that.    She would send rapid fire texts, like four or five at a time.   I would then reply and then receive another round of texts.   I found it to be exhausting and to slow it down I would wait a few days before replying again.

We actually wound up meeting in person in early July when I last visited Detroit and she was there working for Rocket Mortgage as a Salesforce Intern.    She lives in San Francisco and did find a brief role work at Deloitte after completing the program but was let go less than six months into the job and was struggling to find a new role.   I totally get it and have been there.   I was so happy when she announced the internship and since she knew I was from Detroit, she wanted to meet me in person.

She really is a nice person.   She talked a mile a minute initially but we eventually found a groove.   We were going to have breakfast at a newer breakfast spot but the wait was going to be 30 minutes and she needed to be somewhere in another hour so didn't want to wait, which was understandable.   We both found out we love Indian food so opted to eat at a local Indian dive.    We were the only customers for a time until lunch time came and a few other folks (all Indian) came to eat.

We parted ways after the lunch and walking her back to her apartment which was at the Wayne State University campus.    She's been taking a lot of development classes and I do hope she soon finds a permanent role.    We haven't been texting as much lately which is fine with me.

The second lady Lupita started messaging me after we both participated in Deloitte's consultant program along with a third guy Leo in hopes of landing a role with Deloitte.    Leo got the offer along with a few other folks that included another Pathfinder but Lupita and I didn't which I kinda figured in my case wouldn't happen.   This of course was two months prior to landing my current role.

Lupita and I commiserated over being rejected.   Lupita confessed to being quite shy and not easily befriending people which made her talking to me all the more interesting.   Somehow I must've gotten past her normal defenses.   She too is a very nice person.   Her family originates from Africa and she relocated in Texas where she was working in a real estate job she hated until stumbling onto Pathfinder.

Thankfully she found her new role at a Salesforce Consulting firm as a Business Analyst about two weeks before I started my role.    But it's been a roller coaster ride for her dealing with the various projects going on.   She's been striving at it and was recently promoted to Senior Business Analyst.   But the company has been going through some recent turmoil, much like my job, and a number of folks, including her boss's boss were laid off.   

The one thing that irks me was that she keeps calling me her "bestie".   I'm thinking how could that be and how did she wind up latching onto me...*LOL*.   I don't like the word "bestie".   I do know the intention isn't bad when she uses it though.   Just like Ming, she really is a sweet lady.   She gotten to know me as well.    We continue to message regularly even asking me about Thanksgiving plans.   In fact she'll send a quick message if we haven't chatted in awhile.

It is funny how some folks come into your life when you least expect it.    I wasn't looking specifically for any connections but they found me.   That is refreshing actually since usually I'm the one that has to chase to try and befriend folks.   We shall see if Ming and Lupita continue to be in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment